May 5, 2010

Tuscan Chicken...

As some of you know I like to plan my meals out for the entire month. It seems crazy and daunting but honestly it is easy, I promise. One of these days I will share how I do this. Planning for the whole month seemed ridiculous at first but it honestly makes my life easier. And this way, in the morning I can look and see what we're having that night and 
1. know when I need to start dinner by and 
2. what, if anything, needs to be taken out of the freezer to thaw out during the day
3. helps me plan and make my list for the grocery shopping (keeps our grocery bill to somewhere in the $40-$50 range each week)

Monday night was originally "Tuscan Chicken" night but with all of the leftovers from Aaron's birthday soiree I decided to bump it to Tuesday. The plan is a convenience tool... and by no means set in stone! :o) So last night was just going to be Tuscan Chicken night but it also turned into Tuscan Pork Chop night too. My mom was over in my end of the county at my sister's softball game and was going to stop by afterward (about the time Aaron would be home and we'd be having dinner). Chicken and my mom have a very adverse relationship...so I decided to do a couple pork chops for her and my sister. 

Here is the recipe: 
It is from 
McCormick 3-Step Cooking with Flavor












Tuscan Chicken
1.5 lbs chicken breast, cut into quarters
1/2 cup of milk
1/4 c flour
1 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp of black pepper
1 Tbsp butter, melted

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare baking pan, spray with nonstick spray.
2. Mix flour and seasonings together in a Ziploc bag. 
3. Moisten chicken with the milk and then toss in the Ziploc bag to cover with flour mixture.
4. Bake in prepared dish for 15-20 min.


Alterations: 
Obviously I did both chicken and pork chops, like I said before. I did not cut the chicken or the pork chops up...I just wanted to leave them whole. I also sort of doubled the recipe just because I was doing more than 1.5 lbs of chicken. We were out of oregano...(I KNOW! weird, I've never been OUT of oregano). I used Italian Seasoning instead. I also cooked them at a lower temperature just so they were not done too fast. 

We had pasta with a pesto sauce and a small salad with the Tuscan Chicken and overall I was pretty pleased with the meal. All three of us, Aaron, my mom and I, decided that "Tuscan Chicken" tasted very close to "Shake and Bake". 

One more successful dinner down :o)

Tonight...a NEW breakfast casserole recipe...courtesy of the same cookbook! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com