Jun 15, 2010

Mexican Style Stuffed Peppers...

Last night I tried my hand at a different stuffed pepper recipe. Lately when I have made "traditional" stuffed peppers they have been kind of "blegh"...so I thought lets kick it up a little. 


Here is the recipe:



Ingredients

  • 6 medium green or sweet red pepper
  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • 1/3 cup chopped celery
  • 3 cups cooked rice
  • 1-1/4 cups salsa, divided
  • 1 tablespoon chopped green chilies
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend

  • Directions
  • Cut tops off peppers and discard; remove seeds. In a Dutch oven or large kettle, cook
  • peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.  In a nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the rice, 1 cup salsa, chilies, chili powder and salt. Spoon into peppers.
  • Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Add 1/4 cup water to dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese and top with remaining salsa. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.

Ok...for my "alterations" to this one. 


  • I only did 4 peppers because they were gigantic peppers (thank you Brigottas)
  • I did not have any green chilies on hand so they were not a part of this
  • I only used maybe 1 tsp of chili powder...last time I followed a recipe when it came to chili powder I couldn't see straight because my eyes were watering
  • I also added a small can of V8 juice because the rice/meat mixture just seemed too dry...
  • no mexican cheese blend...just good old fashioned shredded cheddar tonight
  • I also only cooked them for maybe 30 minutes in an 8x8 pan since I was doing four instead of six...AND I "pre-cooked" the peppers in the microwave, we don't have a dutch oven (I keep meaning to get one of those :op)

They were definitely very good...so good that Aaron said they were by far, and this recipe is by far, his favorite when it comes to Stuffed Peppers for dinner.

I made cheesy garlic bread to go with it...

Overall, another successful recipe! Woo hoo :O)


Recipe from Taste of Home 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com